[plug] Booting linux of an iPod?

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Fri Aug 20 18:31:57 WST 2004

Hey all,

Been offline for a while - apologies for late responses.

On 29/07/2004, at 9:16 AM, Adam Hewitt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to get a linux install onto an iPod
> and then get the PC/laptop to boot off USB and boot the linux install
> off the iPOD?

I have heard of someone doing this using a boot floppy and gentoo so
this may be an option

I can confirm that this works for osx, but I doubt you are talking
about a mac laptop...

>  The reason I ask is that I have recently changed jobs, and
> I have been given a laptop. However with the implementation of an SOE I
> am unable to modify anything on it, but I would like to be able to boot
> into linux to get some development work done.

As an admin this offends me so:

Option 1 - buy a second laptop drive, and switch - Most brand name
laptops are pretty easy to switch over. I'll sell you a used 10G drive
for $20

Option 2 - USB distro - booting from an external usb thumb drive works
pretty well

Option 3 - CD distro.

Option 4 - Reformat, and repartition the disk. Get your it blokes to
install their image into one of the partitions(they shouldn't complain
too much about that) ans install your distro of choice.

> The reason I am asking about the iPOD, is because I would obviously
> need
> an external drive for this undertaking, but I will shortly be in the
> masket for a HDD mp3 player so if I could combine the two that would be
> awesome.
>
> Any ideas or info would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam.