[plug] Booting linux of an iPod?

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Fri Aug 20 19:38:45 WST 2004

>> The reason I am asking about the iPOD, is because I would obviously need
>> an external drive for this undertaking, but I will shortly be in the
>> masket for a HDD mp3 player so if I could combine the two that would be
>> awesome.
>>
>> Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Only problem with this is that the iPod (Gen3 anyway) arent really
designed with extended use in mind. Firstly the drive in there is only
rated to about 20,000 hours of operation, where a normal drive is
usually rated over 750,000 hours. Also the little critter gets mighty
hot when it is accessed for prolonged periods at anything remotely
intense. I have heard of this burning up the board in there.

Check out ipodlounge for more info and a quick google on ipod as
firewire drive will also provide some more.

HTH

Patrick