[plug] Dynamic DNS configuration

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 22 15:52:19 WST 2004

Hi All

I'm trying to configure dynamic DNS on a (Debian Woody) server with several
windoze boxes attached on a private lan. I already use dhcp to give out IP
addresses, and that works well, but I would like to get the hostnames into
DNS for ease of talking to the windows machines from the Linux end. The IP
addresses do change occasionally as machines are changed around on the
network.

I would like to get this working as a learning exercise anyway, but is there
an easier way that I haven't thought of?

I have added the following to dhcpd.conf:

ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-domainname "nannuptc.org.au";
ddns-updates on;
deny client-updates;
allow unknown-clients;

and added the 'allow-update { localhost; };' line to named.conf:

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.local";
        allow-update { localhost; };
};

My question is, have I done the right thing in adding the 'allow-updates' line
in the localhost zone, or is this a recursive no-no? Do I need to define a
new zone for my domain to put this in?

I don't have any test results as I won't be able test this until I am on site
tomorrow.

Thanks

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill