[plug] odd file manager hangs

James Nell jnell at konnect.com.au
Mon Aug 23 22:45:26 WST 2004

Hi Craig,

I seem to be experiencing a similar issue. I have found Nautilus would
freeze up intermettintly while browsing or on launching. It started
happening quite suddenly about 2 weeks ago. I use FC2 and keep it up to
date using YUM configured to down load it's updates off PlanetMirror. I
have been sort of hoping it's just a passing bug, that will be found and
fixed, but the longer I wait, the less hope I have that it will be
miraculously solved in an update.

I haven't been back through my logs to try and narrow things down, but I
am totally up to date with version numbers, including the kernel.

At first I thought it had something to do with Nautilus trying to do
some sort of validation of all it's mount points when launching. I still
haven't ruled this out. I suspect that there has been some sort of patch
applied to Samba that is affecting how Linux does DNS resolution.

This is all just speculation, and if there is any merit in anything that
I have written please let me know. I can't think of a good way of
testing my theory. Any ideas, most welcome.

Cheers,
James.