[plug] odd file manager hangs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 24 15:26:35 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:45, James Nell wrote:

> At first I thought it had something to do with Nautilus trying to do
> some sort of validation of all it's mount points when launching. I still
> haven't ruled this out. I suspect that there has been some sort of patch
> applied to Samba that is affecting how Linux does DNS resolution.

I can't imagine how that would happen. Samba is just a server process.
It would not affect the Linux kernel, nor the system resolver library
that's part of glibc.

Do you think Samba is altering /etc/resolv.conf or something like that?

Are you referring to smbfs or smbd? How does Samba even come into this,
anyway?

> This is all just speculation, and if there is any merit in anything that
> I have written please let me know. I can't think of a good way of
> testing my theory. Any ideas, most welcome.

If you want to start trying to trace the problem down, you'll want to
(a) see if you can find a way to reproduce the problem consistently, (b)
check for log messages, (c) run nautilus from a terminal and look for
debugging messages it outputs to stdout/stderr, (d) try tracing nautilus
or debugging it to see if you can get an idea what it's doing, (e) if
you suspect DNS, use tethereal to monitor requests and responses.

To be honest, your issue doesn't sound like it's related to what I'm
seeing. The issue I've been seeing seems to be related specifically to
directories being viewed by multiple users, and is not confined to
nautilus (I've seen it in Konqueror too).

P.S: I hate threaded programs under Linux.

--
Craig Ringer