[plug] Debian Installation - Sid

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:02:25 WST 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:54:54 +0800, Cameron Patrick
<cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:
> Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > I use Sarge for the distro - but I compile up the latest 2.6 kernel
> > for it.
>
> The almost-latest 2.6 kernel /is/ packaged in sarge, and the absolute
> latest is in sid, so you're probably better off using Debian's kernels
> unless you're going to be patching the kernel in some way (e.g. on my
> machines I apply patches adding software suspend support, MPPE
> encryption so you can connect to UWA's SNAP network, SKAS mode to make
> User-Mode Linux run fast, the latest ACPI patches on my laptop, etc).

I compile my own partly to reduce the number of modules cluttering
modconf, partly out of habit, and partly for the power/control. As I
mentioned though, compiling up your own is a doddle with Debian's
make-kpkg - although it's still important to do things like compile in
ext3 statically, etc... ^_^;;

And now I have one box which requires custom patches for the DVB-T card. ^_^

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University