[plug] Debian Installation - Sid

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Wed Aug 25 16:25:57 WST 2004

Hey All

I found something interesting with the install of sid.  After getting
xwindows or kde up and running I thought I would use synaptic and
upgrade to the 2.6.7 kernel since 2.6.8 is stuffed for writing to cd's
as a normal user i thought I would upgrade to the next best thing.  Well
there's a bug with the 2.6.7 kernel that doesn't allow the laptop's
"ps2" mouse to work under xwindows as far as I know.

I re-checked my xfree86 conf file and nothing had changed.  If I set the
mouse to the ttys1 port it would work but the mouse wouldn't Kde would
load up but no mouse.  So I did a little google on the web and found
that its related to the kernel.  I switched back to the last 2.4 kernel
or the standard kernel that I installed first and it works fine.  My
understanding is that the kernel does not have the "synaptics" driver
installed in it or something like that.  I only just found it out so I'm
not full bottle on it or even a small amount.  Anyways the touchpad for
some reason under sid 2.6.7 didn't work for me.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/dollinger/robert/linux/acer800.html

Thats the link for how to fix it under acer.  I'm assuming its the same
issue.  As I try more I'll relay whats happened and happens.

Marc