[plug] ATO Response for Linux Business Portal

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Aug 25 18:40:44 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 17:36, Chris Caston wrote:
> The other thing is shouldn't there just be open standards? I person
> writing an accounting program (for any platform and regardless of
> license) should be able to us that program to communicate with the ATO.

As I just wrote to a private message I received, I understand your
request and comment about Open Standards, but in this case, as I see it,
we're looking at some minor incompatibilities between their original
Microsoft Java VM stuff and their new Sun Java implementation.

Open Standards, and even Open Source is a lofty concept, but at this
point all I want is to be able to lodge my BAS electronically. When
government departments realise that they get less support calls from
Macintosh and Linux users, even though their user base is large, that is
the time to start further discussion to that end.

> regards,
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..