[plug] ATO Response for Linux Business Portal

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Aug 26 13:41:14 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 14:40, Chris Caston wrote:
> This is looking fantastic. Bravo. You guys rock.
> If you need another name/tester/anything else let me know.

I have *just* come off the phone with the department head of the group
with which I've been in touch and I am cautiously optimistic as a
result.

I do not want to make any claims on behalf of the ATO, seeing as I'm not
in any way associated with them (other than a citizen of this
country:-), but the tone of the conversation leads me to believe that:

        Rather than actively standing in the way of Linux, there appears
        to be some understanding that if there were no active
        impediments, like Java Scripts incorrectly checking browser
        versions, that Linux could be supported by the fact that it just
        works, without any actual commitment to provide support.

This would mean that we could in fact lodge our BAS electronically
through the portal - especially since I now understand that the ECI
software is no longer a preferred method of interaction.

I'm buoyed by the recent developments and am crossing all fingers and
toes that this might all come to pass.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..