[plug] Processor Memory Usage

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Aug 28 06:54:03 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 18:46, Tim White wrote:

> The reason being is that after leaving this workstation of for almost 2
> days the swap is getting rather full. Under normal usage with frequent
> reboots it only gets around 10% used, it as almost at 50%. The memory
> always sits around 100% due to me only having 192Mb.

It is, unfortunately, harder than it could be to determine how much
memory a given process is really using on a system with dynamic shared
libraries.

I suggest starting with 'top' (hit shift-M to switch to sorting by
memory use - RSS by default I think) or using ps and sorting by RSS.

> Also is it possible that this is caused by shared librarys sitting in
> memory?

Possibly, though it's more likely to be lovely leaky programs.

>  if so how can I unload them?

Only by terminating the process(es) that use them. The kernel will swap
unused segments of code out automatically though so it's not a big deal.

--
Craig Ringer