[plug] Processor Memory Usage

raven at themaw.net raven at themaw.net
Sat Aug 28 17:50:13 WST 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Tim White wrote:

> I know that it's in there somewhere but I having touble finding it.
> I am trying to find out which processes are using the most memory and swap.
> I know that it is probably just a few switches for 'ps'
> The reason being is that after leaving this workstation of for almost 2
> days the swap is getting rather full. Under normal usage with frequent
> reboots it only gets around 10% used, it as almost at 50%. The memory
> always sits around 100% due to me only having 192Mb.

So you don't say how much swap you have configured?
Does the swap usage continue to grow after, say, a week?
Why do you care about your swap usage? Is is causing performance problems?

Your memory usage is likely to continue to be around 100% as Unix will use
whatever it can get for the buffer cache and the like. Don't expect to see
free memory any time soon unless you have seriously more RAM than you
need.

> Also is it possible that this is caused by shared librarys sitting in
> memory? if so how can I unload them?

Why?

If they are their then either they're being used or they're candidates to
be discarded during page list scans when memory is needed.

Ian