[plug] [OT] Looking for cheap P4

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 13:29:34 WST 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:41:07 +0800 (WST), Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Chris Caston wrote:
> >
> > Beware of the Prescott cores. They run hotter and you may require a well
> > circulated case.

> Could someone please clarify whether the Prescott cores are the P4's
> that do the multithreading?
>
> We apparently need to buy a new system sometime soon, and it needs to
> have multithreading, that Anne has told me is only available from P4's,
> and there is this Prescott core thing.
>
> Apparently, what Anne has to run, is quite slow on anything other than
> a P4 with multthreading, which is why I want to know about
> multithreading and this Prescott core thing. Apparently,  the
> aplication runs too slow on any other CPU than a P4 with multithreading.

I assume that you actually mean HyperThreading (HT) not multithreading?
More info - http://www.intel.com/info/hyperthreading/
& http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021227/

General P4 info - http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4/

HT is available in CPUs prior to the Prescott, i.e. the 2.6 Northwood
that I currently have.

A bit more googling for hyperthreading and p4 should provide a wealth
of answers :)

regards,
Nathan D.

*GMail invites currently available*