[plug] Word97 vs Openoffice

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Aug 28 15:37:00 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

> I haven't seen OO take this long since the days of running a Athlon 800
> with 128mb RAM on Debian Woody/KDE3.1 with OO.o 1.0.1 or something
> similar.

I find the Openoffice interface appallingly slow on my laptop
(Pentium-M 1.5 GHz, 256mb RAM, 4200rpm 60gb hard drive).  It seems to
spend half its life swapping.

Brad Campbell wrote:

> Word97 is using 24 Meg of ram total, Ooo is using 57.

Yeah, but that's still 'only' 7mb more than OOo with an empty
document.  While taking 50mb to sit around doing nothing is pretty
lousy, 7mb for a complex 180 page document sounds reasonable.

> While ranting about memory usage. Why the hell is thunderbird using
> 133MB ? It must load all the mailbox indexes/summaries into ram at
> once! Granted it's dealing with 1GB of mail on disk, but still.

Speaking of mailbox summaries, the mutt maildir/imap caching patch has
come along way since I last moaned about it.  Working with >30,000
message folders is now practical (albeit still slow).

Cameron.