[plug] Word97 vs Openoffice

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 28 15:37:48 WST 2004

On Saturday 28 August 2004 15:12, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 14:41, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Just a mild point of observation/frustration.
> >
> > Word97 under WINE vs Openoffice.org 1.1.1.
> >
> > I have a 179 Page word document with lots of formatting / indexing.

> > Word97 loads from scratch (clean boot) and loads the document in about
> > 5 seconds. Ooo takes about 30.

Major difference: Word97 loads the memory image in the document
file and trust the content.

OOo _interprets_ the memory image in the document and renders the
document.

Word97 will invariably crash if the memory image is corrupted.
OOo will simply chug along and do the best it can with what's
recognizable.