[plug] Word97 vs Openoffice

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sat Aug 28 15:41:53 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 15:32, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
> >
> > I haven't seen OO take this long since the days of running a Athlon 800
> > with 128mb RAM on Debian Woody/KDE3.1 with OO.o 1.0.1 or something
> > similar.
> >
> > On my current setup (celery 1.7 with 256mb DDR 845oe Max2 mobo with
> > ~7krpm Seagates, Triplex Radeon 9200 agp card) running Debian sid with
> > OO.o 1.1.2 most documents load instantly but anything greater than 60
> > pages with inserted images takes about 3-4 seconds.
> >
> > I'm not using the oo.o quick start or anything like that and it doesn't
> > seem particularly taxing on my RAM.
> >

> I'm running it on a 1GHz P-III Laptop with a 4200rpm 80GB hard disk and 512MB of ram with quite a
> lot of other stuff open.
> Hard disk latency is quite high on this machine and I currently have ~400mb of stuff in swap (2.4
> kernel)

Perhaps that would explain it. That is one of the other excuses I give
for avoiding laptops in favour of a decent desktop + well synced PALM
pda: the speed of the HD.

> >>Unfortunately for these documents I *have* to use Word as I need to be able to save the document in
> >>a format the guys in the office in Perth can use (Word 2000) and Ooo munges the Indexing to a point
> >>Word just chokes.
> >>

> > Get them to install OO.o
> >

> You are obviously not familiar with some corporate cultures and their attitude toward anything that
> might make them realise they just blew $$ on 50 full licenses for Office2k. Not only that, but these
> people actively resist change.
> We trialled Open Office v1 when it first released and it was thrown out within 5 days due to a
> couple of dinosaurs not wanting to change or learn anything that is Non-Microsoft. Yet these are the
> same people that bitch and moan when hitches with the roaming profile process between win2k and
> win2k server deletes the last 3 months history from Outlook and complain about lost productivity
> when Blaster took out the Office for 36 hours.

I've always been of the opinion that its easier to build a new business
from the ground up based entirely on open source than it is to convert
an existing one.

The processes of moving the existing business to open source does,
however, create a lot of consulting work but it's far from smooth
sailing.