[plug] Word97 vs Openoffice

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Aug 28 16:01:51 WST 2004

Chris Caston wrote:

>>I'm running it on a 1GHz P-III Laptop with a 4200rpm 80GB hard disk and 512MB of ram with quite a
>>lot of other stuff open.
>>Hard disk latency is quite high on this machine and I currently have ~400mb of stuff in swap (2.4
>>kernel)
>>

> Perhaps that would explain it. That is one of the other excuses I give
> for avoiding laptops in favour of a decent desktop + well synced PALM
> pda: the speed of the HD.

Perhaps, but you can't spend 12 hours on an aircraft editing a 250 page proposal or writing code on
a PDA, nor can you use it to carry around all your remote recovery/rescue software/systems.

I need a laptop to do what I need to do, and I need a laptop that will support 12 hours on the go so
it can't be a power hungry desktop replacement that would make OOo acceptably fast.

Oh, and to get 12 hours I have 4 batteries, I just software-suspend, swap the battery and resume
where I left off. Roll on 12 hour continuous battery life.