[plug] Processor Memory Usage

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 28 18:04:37 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0408281743130.1412 at donald.themaw.net>
on Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 05:50:13PM +0800, raven at themaw.net wrote:
> Your memory usage is likely to continue to be around 100% as Unix will use
> whatever it can get for the buffer cache and the like. Don't expect to see
> free memory any time soon unless you have seriously more RAM than you
> need.

I think Tim knows this. But, like you, I'm not sure why 50% swap usage
would be a problem per se. I guess it is just abnormal for Tim's
computer, and he might want to keep an eye on any particular process
that appears to be leaking. I know some UNIX versions of top let you
sort by your choice of either resident size or total size, e.g. by
issuing the 'o' command in interactive mode and typing the name of
the column. Some Linux versions are more novel in their approach to
interactive sorting, but I think the same is possible.