[plug] Mailing list filtering

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Aug 30 17:45:53 WST 2004

G'day all,

I know I'm pretty slow here but I just discovered a new trick and thought it might help another
mailing list filtering newbie.

I used to filter on the to or cc address usually, but when your subscribed to a lot of lists and
people crosspost between them, it gets hard when you wind up with 4 copies of the same message all
in the same mailbox instead of neatly arranged where they are supposed to be.

Solution : Filter on the Return Path header.

For example.
For my Opie mailbox I used to look for opie at handhelds in to or cc. Now I just look for opie-bounces
in the Return Path header.

When someone cross-posts to familiar, ipaq, gpe and opie on the handhelds.org server, I still get 4
copies, but now I get them in the correct place! And better still, when I'm cc'd the private copy
stays in my inbox rather than getting dragged into the other mailing list box.

Like I said, I know I'm slow on the uptake, but this has been a positive boon to my mailing list
management.

Regards,
Brad