[plug] Mailing list filtering

Padraig MacIain draoidh at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 30 18:28:10 WST 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:45:53PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I know I'm pretty slow here but I just discovered a new trick and thought
> it might help another mailing list filtering newbie.
>
> I used to filter on the to or cc address usually, but when your subscribed
> to a lot of lists and people crosspost between them, it gets hard when you
> wind up with 4 copies of the same message all in the same mailbox instead
> of neatly arranged where they are supposed to be.
>
> Solution : Filter on the Return Path header.
>
> For example.
> For my Opie mailbox I used to look for opie at handhelds in to or cc. Now I
> just look for opie-bounces in the Return Path header.
>
> When someone cross-posts to familiar, ipaq, gpe and opie on the
> handhelds.org server, I still get 4 copies, but now I get them in the
> correct place! And better still, when I'm cc'd the private copy stays in my
> inbox rather than getting dragged into the other mailing list box.

I might jump in here with something I do. I use mailfilter for my email
rather than procmail and there is the following recipe for removing
'recent' duplicates:

	# stop duplicate emails
	`reformail -D 8000 .duplicate.cache`
	if ( $RETURNCODE == 0 )
	{
		exit
	}

	MAILDIR=/home/darke/Mail
	... rest of mailfilter config ...

its quite useful as it picks up duplicates within a certain timeframe as well, which is
sometimes useful as I have multiple email addresses and sometimes the download from
one is more delayed than another.

although I am not sure if mailfilter is still floating around. And yes, this doesn't really
do the same thing as your post above. Whoops

--
Peter Crystal
email: draoidh at iinet.net.au
url:   http://www.bur.st/~darke/