[plug] Suggestion for web site

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Aug 31 02:14:00 WST 2004

I have a suggestion for the web site, and I am posting it to the list,
as it would need the active participation of most of the list
subscribers, if it is to be implemented and to be successful.

On the web site, under the heading of Resources, on the menu on the left
side of the web site home page, I suggest the addition of another link
and web page, to list what Linux magazines/publications are available in
Perth, and from where.

For this, I refer to the supply of Linux magazines and pocketbooks,
rather than books (although a general list of bookshops that sell books
relating to Linux, could be included in a list on the suggested web
page).

In Armadale, I am aware of two newsagents - one on the Jull Street Mall,
and one in the shopping centre. Both sell various Linux magazines and
pocket books. Neither appears to sell, for example, the magazine Linux
Format.

What I suggest, is a web page, with perhaps three lists;

Magazines
<Magazine name> <Suburb> <Newsagent name and address>
<date that entry last updated>

Pocketbooks
<Pocketbook name and distributions included (if applicable)>
<Suburb> <Newsagent name and address> <date that entry last updated>

Books
<Bookshop name and address> <Linux book range description>
<date that entry last updated>

The Linux book range description could be something like "limited to
about half a dozen books" (like some of the  A&R shops), or "good
variety" (like the Hay St Mall (I think it is) A&R shop), etc.

As PLUG is the Perth Linux Users Group, I suggest that a web page such
as this, with a link from the Resources sub-menu on the PLUG web site
home page, would be a good resource for Linux users in Perth, and would
help publicise what Linux-oriented publications are available, and,
where, in Perth.

For each entry, an additional field, could be the name of the person who
submitted the entry, if anyone needs to contact them or know who
submitted the entry, to get an update or something.

I think that it would need the active participation of most people on
the list, to get people to go and check what Linux materials are
available at their local newsagents, and submit their findings, to make
publishing such a web page, worthwhile.

Then, if someone cannot find a particular magazine/pocketbook in their
local area, the person might be able to find the closest place, where
the item can be obtained.

What do people think of this suggestion?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."