[plug] DDNS with BIND9 and DHCP3

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Aug 31 13:28:58 WST 2004

Hi Folks,

For a bit of fun (?) I thought I try to get DDNS working (having a DHCP
server add forward and reverse entries on a DNS server for a host when
it is issued a lease).

I'm running on Debian stable/testing using BIND9 9.2.3+9.2.4-rc5-1 and
DHCP3  3.0.1-1

I've scrounged some info from various places such as:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=323
http://www.boran.com/security/sp/bind9_20010430.html
http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/ddns.htm
http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html

The DHCP server accepts the parameters it needs for this and restarts
fine.

The BIND server doesn't like the 'controls' directive that is supposedly
required to make rndc listen on port 953 for commands.  Possibly as a
result of this, it refuses be stopped/started as it is unable to connect
to the rndc port.

In my named.conf i have a valid key block which BIND finds acceptable,
and it finds the allow/allow-update syntax in the relevant zone
acceptable also.  It just seems to be the 'controls' block - which more
than one of the URLs above suggest is mandatory.

for example:
------------
controls {
  inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
  allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "mykey";
};

reports this:
Aug 31 13:10:36 wind-tunnel named[8957]: /etc/bind/named.conf:21:
unknown option 'controls'

Has anyone done this and can offer some insight?  I'm sure this is the least of my worries and there are many other things I'm missing too :)

Thanks,

Ryan