[plug] OSS or ALSA with Oddcast for XMMS?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Aug 31 17:43:53 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 17:26, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
>
> > I'm just playing around trying to play tracks and recording from the
mic
> > to a localhost icecast2 server.
> >
> > I'm currently using OSS but I have often had troubles trying to do
more
> > than 1 sound related thing at a time.
>
> That's to be expected with a cheap sound card and OSS, as AFAIK OSS
has
> no provision for software mixing (or the drivers are expected to do it
> and most don't).
>
> > Should I start using ALSA?
>
> NFI. Try it and see. IIRC it's designed with software mixing in mind
so
> it should help.

Cool
> Alternately, use a sound server like esd

Something I should look into.
> or get a decent
> sound card.

OK I'm using an 845PE Max2 mainboard 0000:02:0a.0 Multimedia audio
controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)

Manual calls it: C-media 8738MX/8738LX 6-Channel audio

I have two brand new Creative Ectiva Audio 5.1's but they supposed be
creatives bottom of the line. They have quit a few line in ports though.

I have suspicion that to broadcast tracks that would otherwise go to my
speakers I need to use a audio cable between the speaker port and the
line-in port. Is this right or wrong?