[plug] [OT] Local-user IMAP

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 22:29:32 WST 2004

> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> >> Do you /really/ have to use Cyrus IMAP?  Using e.g. dovecot or
> >> courier, I believe that you could achieve what you want trivially,
> >> because they don't care if a local process starts screwing about with
> >> the Maildirs directly.  I'm pretty sure that courier also supports
> >> "shared" mailboxes which may be useful for what you want.
> >
> > Indeed. Much as I like Cyrus, it doesn't sound like it's at all well
> > suited to the things you want it to do.
>
> Oh, but ... please don't use Courier. *shudder*. Not that uw is much
> better. IMHO until recently Cyrus was the only decent option for an IMAP
> server - but dovecot is apparently OK and reasonably stable now.

dovecot is great. We use it at the guild. It manages a good 80-100
mailboxes , all getting thrashed around the clock and it replaces UW
perfectly. Some time ago , uw was broken for us by debain, I think for
security reasons(?!) and with little indication on how to fix, we started
looking around.

apt-get install dovecot

blammo.