[plug] Alsa problems

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 3 17:46:59 WST 2004

Its been a while since I used Linux on the desktop so I'm a little vague
on the answers, and I need to make some assumptions on your setup (as
you didn't specify).

I will assume that you are using gnome as your windows manager (if I am
wrong this may still apply anyways). Gnome uses a translation layer that
sits between your applications and the sound card driver (I can't recall
the name of it off the top of my head), and by default I believe it uses
OSS as the driver. In order to get ALSA to work as you are describing,
you need to change the translation layer to be ALSA (come to think of it
I think the software is called esd-oss and esd-alsa), and then point all
of your applications to this instead of directly to the driver.

I may be way off mark, but as I said I haven't used Linux on the desktop
for a while and you didn't provide any details of your setup.

Adam.