[plug] Alsa problems

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 3 18:29:10 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 17:46 +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> Its been a while since I used Linux on the desktop so I'm a little vague
> on the answers, and I need to make some assumptions on your setup (as
> you didn't specify).
>
> I will assume that you are using gnome as your windows manager (if I am
> wrong this may still apply anyways). Gnome uses a translation layer that
> sits between your applications and the sound card driver (I can't recall
> the name of it off the top of my head), and by default I believe it uses
> OSS as the driver. In order to get ALSA to work as you are describing,
> you need to change the translation layer to be ALSA (come to think of it
> I think the software is called esd-oss and esd-alsa), and then point all
> of your applications to this instead of directly to the driver.

I've not even installed ESD, its royal pain :)

Anyways, yes, am using gnome, but gnome doesn't have anything to do with
sound on my setup. After the initial post I found out that my card
(es1371) is able to accept 2 simultaneous inputs, hence one app can use
ALSA, and another can play through OSS or SDL which is pretty much what
I had before and what I wanted.

Some further investigating also showed this could be done with dmix, but
that requires _another_ kernel recompile, then building up ALSA with
aoss etc, far too much work :)

Regards
Michael Collard