[plug] email with copyright protection? Maybe a bit [OT]?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 3 20:31:48 WST 2004

In message <41B058FC.9020209 at tigris.org>
on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:15:56PM +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> >I sent this person a jpeg file. She claims she received it, can see a
> >thumbnail view of it, but can't open it or save it. She says she gets
> >warnings about copyright violation when she tries.
> It could be the client doing it.

I can't imagine there's any RFC mail server that would manipulate JPEG
attachments to cause this to occur (i.e. any such server would likely be
a proprietary mail system like Exchange/Outlook, Notes, etc). I think it
sounds like it *must* be the client that's doing it.

PS. There are several mail domains in which students might have a 'UWA
student account', but the most common ones are 'tartarus' and 'cyllene'
which use open-source SMTP, POP, IMAP and webmail.