[plug] email with copyright protection? Maybe a bit [OT]?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 4 10:00:56 WST 2004

In message <4764842504120317282ebbf5a8 at mail.gmail.com>
on Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 09:28:37AM +0800, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> > PS. There are several mail domains in which students might have a 'UWA
> > student account', but the most common ones are 'tartarus' and 'cyllene'
> > which use open-source SMTP, POP, IMAP and webmail.
> I thought I remembered that when I was there they had virus scanning
> on any attachments? I had a few blocked. But never with a copyright
> warning. Do they use an os scanner? I guess this is drifting OT from
> the OT.  :)

Well, there is campus-wide anti-virus scanning (such messages are not
relayed) and anti-spam scanning (such messages are relayed but tagged).
Any content filtering for other purposes is not done centrally (but I
suppose it might be done by faculties, schools or central admin who
provide some of their own e-mail systems for their own users). Any
such thing as a copyright warning would either be the fault of the
client or a proprietary mail system.