[plug] shared tv

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Dec 7 14:04:07 WST 2004

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Whats the best way (or ways) to share a tv card across a lan: windoze
> machines included.  Mix of 10M coax, 100baseTX and wireless.
>
> I can use aatv in an ssh session - fun but ultimately useless
> exported x sessions are too slow to keep up - didnt try sound
>
> So I expect some kind of streamer with v4l as the input - but what?

I do it with Satellite telly here just using some cobbled together scripts with nc and tee, but to
do real v4l captured telly you are going to have to compress it significantly to squirt it over a
pipe that small. You will need a very fast machine to be able to stream v4l and compress it in real
time.

The key is effective compression of the raw video signal. If you were receiving digital telly, you
could use transcode to re-quantize the data stream down to something manageable and stream that.

I actually squirt my 2MBPS satellite links over my wireless link 500m away to the office so I can
watch telly on my laptop at lunch time :p)

--
Brad
                    /"\