[plug] Preferred or recommended graphics adapter

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 16 12:34:00 WST 2004

Jim Householder wrote:

> I have just installed Mdk 10.1 Official, and have yet to get an nvidia
> driver working.  It appears to build ok, but will not initialise when I try
> to use it.  I'm tired of messing with nvidia.
>
> If I were to get a new graphics card (cost <= $150), which would be the
> least hassles when I upgrade my kernel?

If you're not fussed about getting a tweaky gamer card, cards in the
Radeon 9200 series have excellent Linux support.  3D acceleration is
supported by Free drivers included with the kernel and should be part
of most recent distributions.  The cards are cheap ($50-$100) and
passively cooled so no noisy fans to worry about.

Some people swear by the Nvidia binary drivers, but I've only ever had
cause to swear at them.

Cameron