[plug] Mobile phone, infrered port and Linux

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 22:35:30 WST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:54:21 +0800, Milan Pospisil <pospim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>            I have been thinking about getting a Sagem MyV-55 mobile
> phone with a camera, but the problem is that this thing uses an
> infrared port to communicate with a PC and I do not have an infrared
> port on my computer. Can I buy a card or something to get one or
> possibly is there a way how to build it? And how do I make an infrared
> port to work under Linux? Any info about this mobile I have found so
> far was with respect to M$ Windows:-(
> TIA for any advise
>                           Milan Pospisil

Dick Smiths, Tandys or Jaycar all have IR kits that take 10 -15mins to
build.  All you need is a soldering iron and pliers and you will be
right.  Last time I saw them they were around $25.  You will need
details of the pinout to identify +5V, GND, TX & RX.  I do recall a
setting in some BIOSes to setup your com port.
Really not sure about the rest of it though? :(

regards,
  Nathan D.

natdan at gmail.com
1000 Mbs of email !!