[plug] Intermittent hardware problem

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sat Dec 18 18:34:16 WST 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:38, Jim Householder wrote:
> One of my machines has a problem.  2.6Ghz Celeron, MSI all-in-one
> M/B, 256MB ram, new hdd.  hdd was purchased yesterday, the rest last
> March.  CDRW is 4 years old and DVD reader is 3 months old.  Cables
> and power supply are 4 years old.
>
> Over the last month or so it has been spontaneously rebooting from
> time to time.  Now as likely as not on reboot it hangs after
> displaying the PCI device listing and before the "Verify DMI pool
> data..." message.  A reboot at this point ususally works.

I love hardware errors like this. Always hard to pin down, and it takes
weeks after you believe you've solved it until you can finally feel
confident that you actually have.

I bought a second-hand desktop with the known problem of random reboots.
Being aware of the MS Windows viruses that were particularly active at
the time causing just that, I hoped that it was a software problem, but
luckily paid a cautious price for it in the event that it wasn't.

Over the next weeks, I tried to pin down the problem by reducing the
computer to the lowest common denominator. Knoppix is really useful for
this sort of thing. I gradually ripped out everything except CD-ROM
(for Knoppix) or the hard disk drive, either of the two memory modules,
motherboard, processor, and graphics card. I also tried a different
PSU.

Since the reboots could be days apart, it took quite a while to isolate
the problem, but eventually I concluded it was either the processor (a
600 MHz Celery) or motherboard (can't recall a name, if I even saw one;
lots of on-board functionality for new and exciting failures), and
after replacing them, I've had no problems.

Bottom line? This type of problem is tricky. My advice is to
troubleshoot by eliminating or swapping out components. Knoppix or
other live distributions are good tools for avoiding hard disk drives
which can cause a number of interesting problems.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/