Flash CPU usage (was: Re: [plug] Tracking and Fixing Memory Leaks)

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 16:41:49 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 14:10, Steve Boak wrote:
-snip-
> > > a couple of sites with java which use up 100% of my CPU time on a Via C3
> > > 500Mhz processor - the prime example is Westnet's network status
> > > scrolling text applet at http://myplace.westnet.com.au/

Thanks guys, I didn't think of flash & java (though I don't have java
installed - or do you mean java script?).  I wasn't particularly aware
of the pages I had loaded at the time using flash, but then it's easy
for it to snuck into a page as rolling adverts once you have the flash
plugin installed :^(.  Damn those web developers who use that poxy
flash.  Today they're stealing my CPU power, tomorrow the world.

I also noticed that some adverts using DHTML or XHTML (??) - not flash -
also consume bandwidth, even if not CPU.  When I have ethereal running I
can see web sites pushing content to me at frequent intervals to change
their adverts even if I'm not refreshing the page or going to new
pages.  Just as well I don't have download limits.  What with that and
flash, web browsing is fraught with problems these days ;^).

-snip-

> I've moved this discussion off to the Computer Angels discussion list - if
> anyone here is particularly interested, let me know and I'll post the results
> back here.
>
> Steve

I could google it, but what is the URL for that list, Steve?  Is it a
good group?

Regards, Gavin.