Flash CPU usage (was: Re: [plug] Tracking and Fixing Memory Leaks)

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Dec 19 17:10:26 WST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:41 pm, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 14:10, Steve Boak wrote:
> -snip-

> Thanks guys, I didn't think of flash & java (though I don't have java
> installed - or do you mean java script?).  I wasn't particularly aware
> of the pages I had loaded at the time using flash, but then it's easy
> for it to snuck into a page as rolling adverts once you have the flash
> plugin installed :^(.  Damn those web developers who use that poxy
> flash.  Today they're stealing my CPU power, tomorrow the world.

You're right, I did mean java script :-)

If you want to temporarily disable flash and you are using a mozilla based
browser, try the 'flashblock' extension from http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ It
replaces the flash animation with a 'play' icon, and only activates the
animation when you click on it. I have used it for several months now, and it
makes a huge difference to page loading times on dialup connections.

Also check out over 200 other useful (and not so useful) extensions in the
'active projects' page.

> I also noticed that some adverts using DHTML or XHTML (??) - not flash -
> also consume bandwidth, even if not CPU.  When I have ethereal running I
> can see web sites pushing content to me at frequent intervals to change
> their adverts even if I'm not refreshing the page or going to new
> pages.  Just as well I don't have download limits.  What with that and
> flash, web browsing is fraught with problems these days ;^).
>
> -snip-
>
> > I've moved this discussion off to the Computer Angels discussion list -
> > if anyone here is particularly interested, let me know and I'll post the
> > results back here.
> >
> > Steve
>
> I could google it, but what is the URL for that list, Steve?  Is it a
> good group?

It's just a local discussion group of the Computer Angels - see
http://www.computerangels.org.au/
I'm not sure it's publically browsable - Harry, can you throw some light on
this? Maybe Gavin would like to volunteer? :-)

Steve

--
Ph: +61 8 97560662, IP-Phone: FWD# 454566, e164.org# 61897560662

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill