[plug] UI idea

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Dec 20 15:19:18 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 15:13, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1103526236.2911.13.camel at localhost>
> on Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:03:56PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Has anyone ever considered having a check box next to each file? When
> > you tick the check box file is selected. When you untick it the file
> > is deselected. You could also have a "select all" button.
>
> I have used (or currently use) use some software that behaves in either
> of the following two ways:
>
> 1/ The checkboxes define the selection (i.e. checkbox=selection). This
> is the theme for web pages. The main problem with this one is that using
> checkboxes is more painstaking than general line selection, because you
> have to 'aim' to click a small area, and cannot drag the selection.
>
> 2/ The checkboxes are orthogonal to the selection (i.e. it's like having
> two different ways of making a selection). I don't particularly enjoy
> this because it's visually harder to review what you've done. The main
> advantage is that you don't lose the checkboxes if you accidently
> deselect the items you wanted.

I was thinking that selecting files and having the check boxes ticket
would be synchronised. If you select the file the usual way the check
box is ticked. If you tick the check box the file is shown selected.

The person (I was helping copy the mp3s) is about 50 or so years of age
and I think that such an option would be more useful to people not as
quick with PCs as most of us.

regards,

Chris