[plug] Crashed Computer Traps Thai Politician

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 20 18:06:41 WST 2004

In message <41C698C2.4000003 at tpg.com.au>
on Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 05:17:54PM +0800, Kev wrote:
> Worth a laugh
> <http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/n051301.shtml>

Worth a laugh, but with regards to the 'blue screen' comment,
here are some notes and alternative perspectives (not my own):

 - FYI the car's systems were apparently not based on Microsoft
   software.
 - FYI it is likely that the systems are designed so that they fail in a
   sensible manner (e.g. doors unlock in the event of a crash), but...
 - If the vehicle is armoured to protect politicians when they are
   inside, then an automatic door release upon power failure is probably
   not protecting them from would-be saboteurs -- so it's possible that
   the car's behaviour was dictated by some government department.
 - What is therefore perhaps of more interest than the fact that the car
   has 'fail-to-unlock' status is that it there wasn't a manual release
   mechanism (i.e. you'd think that the locks could be overridden by
   mechanical toggling -- not that I've tried).