[plug] UI idea

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 21 18:18:48 WST 2004

In message <20041220142121.GG9221 at patrick.wattle.id.au>
on Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:21:21PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> > > Why couldn't the whole file count as "clickable" for the tick box?
> > Apparently that's what causes people problems in the first place.
> My understanding of it was that the problem was caused by the
> selection being lost when clicking somewhere else, but I may
> just be confused.

By 'whole file', I assumed you meant 'the area used to modify the
selection'. So, again, we come to checkbox<->selection dependence. If
you are adamant in this, I suppose you are suggesting that the selection
be used to define the 'transition' rather than the 'state'. This would
seem to complicate the majority of scenarios for the sake of a few. (At
the very least, how should the interface respond if you press 'delete',
for example: should it delete the files you just selected, or the files
that accumulated ticks in their checkboxes?) It's a legitimate proposal,
but makes me sceptical.