[plug] merging iso to 1 DVD

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 22 13:48:07 WST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:42:07AM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know the proper procedure to merge multiple iso (CD
> images 1-5) to make 1 DVD?  I do not want to have a DVD with 5 iso on
> it, but instead a DVD that when run will install from disk 1 to disk 5
> if necessary. I have Nero Burning 6.3.3, but I do not see anything of
> the sort in this.

Linux install ISO images, that is? It's not as simple as copying them
together due to the Redhat .discinfo files, or Debian Packages.gz, etc.
You can regenerate them to make your own installable DVD, or... if
there's a real master DVD image you can rsync against it.

1. Create a 90% correct DVD image:
   cat FC3-i386-disc*.iso > FC3-i386-DVD.iso
2. Fix it:
   rsync -avP --stats rsync://rsync.planetmirror.com/fedora/.../FC3-i386-DVD.iso FC3-i386-DVD.iso

I've done that with Fedora and Debian. I've also done similar things
with the older Debian pseudo-image-kit, and with jigdo (no rsync mirror
needed). You can also use it to strip DVD images down into CDs or
mini-CDs.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal