[plug] Default Route/GW Change on ppp0 up/down

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Dec 22 17:38:57 WST 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 11:27, weirdo at tigris.org wrote:
> That means that when ppp0 is down I need the default route/gateway to
> point to 192.168.0.1 and when ppp0 is up I need it to point to the
> settings that ppp get from the ISP. I don't want the DNS server to
> change except for adding the ISP DNS server as a secondary server
> when ppp0 is up.

Set a default route to the Win2k box with a higher cost (say, metric 2)
than pppd brings the other route up at.

The routing should prefer whichever route has the lowest metric, all
else being equal.

If you want to reply correctly to traffic *in* from both routes at once,
or to load-balance (half the connections through each route, for
example) that's also not too hard but does require a handful of
iproute2 commands to make it go.

Cheers; Leon

Cheers; Leon