[plug] Default Route/GW Change on ppp0 up/down

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Thu Dec 23 11:43:10 WST 2004

Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 11:27, weirdo at tigris.org wrote:
>
>>That means that when ppp0 is down I need the default route/gateway to
>>point to 192.168.0.1 and when ppp0 is up I need it to point to the
>>settings that ppp get from the ISP. I don't want the DNS server to
>>change except for adding the ISP DNS server as a secondary server
>>when ppp0 is up.
>

> Set a default route to the Win2k box with a higher cost (say, metric 2)
> than pppd brings the other route up at.
>
> The routing should prefer whichever route has the lowest metric, all
> else being equal.
>
> If you want to reply correctly to traffic *in* from both routes at once,
> or to load-balance (half the connections through each route, for
> example) that's also not too hard but does require a handful of
> iproute2 commands to make it go.

This all sounds good except this is an area that I'm totally newb.

I've found a HOWTO on iproute2 which I am slowly reading.
How can I do the metric route thing? I currently let the Gentoo network
scripts handle everything so I'm guessing I would be changing all that.
Any pointers for this?

Thanks

Tim
--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net