[plug] Machine Check Exception

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Dec 26 00:15:15 WST 2004

teergrube mode!

 [German for `tar pit'] A trap set to punish spammers who use an address
harvester; a mail server deliberately set up to be really, really slow. To
activate it, scatter addresses that look like users on the teergrube's
host in places where the address harvester will be trolling (one popular
way is to embed the fake address in a Usenet sig block next to a
human-readable warning not to send mail to it). The address harvester will
dutifully collect the address. When the spammer tries to mailbomb it, his
mailer will get stuck.

Yeah man. 2 things.

teergrube mode! Its actualy meant to do the reeeeeealy long time
thing. It seems from looking around, that teergrube mode *could* be using
some sort of wierd ip_tables hack. Maybe this is whats causing the
shenanigans.

Do you *really* want to be using your server as an anti spammer attack
missile? Its cool and all, but ... I mean hey. Core services and all.

--
"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do
it, that's trustworthiness."