[plug] Odd runlevel 5

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 29 20:37:19 WST 2004

Hi

I recently installed MDK 10.1 from scratch, formatting all partitions but 3 (mounted at /disks/hdb9, 11 & 12) which contained among other things complete backups of /etc and /usr/local.  I thought that perhaps I could get my Nvidia card working again so I put it in and compiled the driver.  No luck.  Could not initialise kernel module.

Modprobe nvidia.

Now I get the nvidia splash screen followed by the KDE progress box but no wallpaper and no icons etc.

Reboot.  Forget that the bit that detects the nvidia card also changes the initial runlevel to 5. <grrr>.  KDE login screen is displayed.  The usernames offered are the current one and one that was not used last install and is not defined now.  Where did it get it?  Keyboard is totally ignored.  No keystrokes register.  Hard reset needed.

Change inittab to runlevel 3, reboot, and everything works fine.  As user, startx starts KDE 3.3 and all is good.

startx as root gives me a KDE 3.2 progress box.  Where did it come from?  3.2 was not installed prior to 3.3 this time around.

TIA
Jim