[plug] Odd runlevel 5

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Dec 30 10:26:07 WST 2004

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 20:37, Jim Householder wrote:
> I recently installed MDK 10.1 from scratch, formatting all partitions
> but 3 (mounted at /disks/hdb9, 11 & 12) which contained among other
> things complete backups of /etc and /usr/local.  I thought that
> perhaps I could get my Nvidia card working again so I put it in and
> compiled the driver.  No luck.  Could not initialise kernel module.

> Modprobe nvidia.

> Now I get the nvidia splash screen followed by the KDE progress box
> but no wallpaper and no icons etc.

Sounds like you're running devfs and should be running udev, but it
normally only does that when you upgrade from an earlier version.

Another common symptom of this is that the first user login takes ages,
minutes maybe, but root and subsequent user logins are instant again.

Try this if unsure:

    urpmi udev
    chkconfig --add udev
    chkconfig --del devfsd

> Change inittab to runlevel 3, reboot, and everything works fine.  As
> user, startx starts KDE 3.3 and all is good.

> startx as root gives me a KDE 3.2 progress box.  Where did it come
> from?  3.2 was not installed prior to 3.3 this time around.

Again, it does that to me if installed as an upgrade.

Cheers; Leon