[plug] [revisited] mp3 downsizing

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Dec 31 10:34:54 WST 2004

Gavin Chester wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:43, Timothy White wrote:
>

>>Gavin Chester wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 23:19, Jason Belcher wrote:
>>>-snip-

>>>-snip-
>>>
>>>Thanks, Jason.  I'm open to any ideas.  Any names of those tools that
>>>you are thinking about, so I can check them out?
>>>

>>Easytag under Linux. (Just one of many.)
>>I'm using Debian so 'apt-cache search mp3 tag'
>>I use it cause I've found it good and it does ogg vorbis as well.
>>
>>Tim
>>--
>>

>Maybe I'm missing something, but tag editors I don't need - tag copying
>across downsampled files I do need.  I don't see Easytag offering that
>option  - or do I need to RTFM a bit more?

As said in a previous post. Before downsampling the MP3s use a tag
editor to rename the files with all the information you want to keep in
the tag.
e.g. Artist - Album - Title - Track #.mp3
Then downsample the files ensuring the new files have the same
meaningful names (maybe with '(DS)' tacked onto the end) and then use
the tag editor to fill in the tags from the name.

In easy editor this would mean doing a 'Tag and File name scan' with
'Rename Files' to move the tag to the file name then 'fill tags' to Tag
the files from the name.

It is a lot easier if you keep at least the basic tag information
synchronised with your file name.

e.g. For all my music I name it in the format 'Artist - Title.mp3' so
that if I ever lose the tags or convert them to wav etc... I will still
have some idea of the song. I don't care about Album and Track # or
Genre (although I like it) so I can leave them out of the name and use
them if there are in the tags but other wise don't worry about them.

Tim

p.s. It would be nice if Lame could take the tag information with it.
Maybe a little script using cmd line tag editors ether side of lame to
store the information and recover it.
So something like below (No language in particular) (Use MP3::Info or
similar you could skip renaming files)
If you need more help, just call and I will probably have a working perl
script for you.

---- Completely untested code that shouldn't work ----
for $file ( @files ){
    $fileout = cut_extension($file) . '(112kb)' . extension($file);
    system('lame -in file -out fileout -downsample -k 112');
    # Use perl MP3::Info or some command line tool
    Use MP3::Info;
    my $tag = get_mp3tag($file);
    set_mp3tag($fileout, $tag);
}
-----

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net