[plug] Re: [OT] Television

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 2 08:59:05 WST 2004

In message <200402020812.28131.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
on Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:12:28AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> in contrast to TV they are active (vs passive), creative (vs passive),
> exploratory (vs passive), and develop both gross and fine motor
> control (vs couch-potato-hood). Simply evading the flaccid passivity
> of TV for an extra 30% of your day is a major benefit all by itself.

Since I don't know you, it's hard for me to guess what your actual
attitude is, but comments like those in the above paragraph display the
following traits that are typical of parochial or ignorant arguments:
 - you rely on a particular "stereotype" to put forward your argument
   (singular);
 - you fail to acknowledge experiences outside the stereotype;
 - you promote the idea that abnegation is in itself a benefit.