[plug] Re: [OT] Television

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Feb 2 09:39:27 WST 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:59, James Devenish wrote:
> - you rely on a particular "stereotype" to put forward your argument
>   (singular);

False. That's experience, not stereotype.

>  - you fail to acknowledge experiences outside the stereotype;

False. I've swapped experiences with many other people, including
singificant numbers of people with basic life philosophies quite
antagonistic to mine, and yet they've come to very similar conclusions
about the idiot box.

>  - you promote the idea that abnegation is in itself a benefit.

Of course it is! The advertising on television is the diametric opposite
of abnegation, and abnegation is an instance of self-control. I hope
you're not arguing that self-control is a bad thing to teach children?

Cheers; Leon