[plug] gcc3 vs gcc2.9x: gotchas?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 2 23:30:39 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

Any thoughts on the merits / problems in using gcc3 series compilers
(mainly C, C++) versus the bog-standard, supplied-with-Debian-woody
2.95.4-ish flavour?   Some of my neuroimaging colleagues tell of speed
improvements (presummably better-optimised output code) but I rather value
the collective wisdom located on our shores :-)   Anyone using the 3
series and if so, trials / tribulations in using it in a Deb 3
environment?

The gcc site has failed to produce a list of possible gotchas when moving
up from 2.95x or maybe it's too late at night for my brain to be
functional :-)   I could always install a late 3 version and trial it but
on a production system I'm not going to be too popular if things break :-)
There's talk on the gcc site that a brand new libstdc (++?)library comes
with it and that is the thing I don't want to turn around and bite me.
If in loading or compiling when I do apt-get upgrades in future, it
could make life tricky, no?

TIA,
Denis