[plug] Machine crashing (long sorry)

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Tue Feb 3 17:07:10 WST 2004

Hi,

 I have a linux box with the following specs :

    SuSE 9.0 (if that matters)
    AMD Athalon XP2100+
    512mb RAM (2x256mb simms)
    40gig SEAGATE HDD, barracuda IV
    Kernel 2.4.21-144-athalon (tried 2.4.21-144)
    SMC1211TX network card
    fs reiserfs (3.6 I think)

 I am using this machine mainly as a backup server for storing files.  This afternoon, it crashed.  Hmm, strange, but I can repeatable crash this machine from running rsync (to this machine) from another computer (to backup the files).  OK, when it crashes, the computer complete reboots (with that nice reboot beeping sound).  Sometimes, when it crashes, it just sits there doing nothing. No response to kb action.

(therefore, crash =
    1) reboot completly
    2) hang
)

Did some more digging, and found I could actually crash the machine 'locally' by working on the 'directory' of files that was trying to be rsynced.
  eg.  du -s /Backups/pc1/incoming
would cause the same crash as an rsync from remote machine would.

When I got a look at kernel oops, it reffered to something like "bad EIP value".  Google hasnt helped too much here, with only one hint of maybe its reiserfs causing the oops (eek !)

So, before I go jumping to conclusions, does anyone on the list have any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem ?  I thought reiserfs was stable.  Anyone else running with reiserfs ? I have been using it (on other machines) for many years without any problems.

 Thanks in advance

 Paul