[plug] National Bank against open source

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Wed Feb 4 12:17:37 WST 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:43:15AM +0800, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Why I agree this is possibly the most poorly worded response ever,

...or they actually mean it and have no idea what they're talking
about...

> consider it from their perspective.

<perspective type="theirs">

We know it works and yet couldn't be bothered allowing our customers to
use it.

We default to denying everything and only allow those browsers that we
have personally and labouriously tested through.

We are too slack to code a site that uses standards and have to resort
to nasty javascript to detect each browser individually and explicitly
and hack around all the things that should have just been written
properly in the first place.

</perspective>

Hmm... their perspective seems a little odd...  :)

If IE is the only browser that can access a service, it somewhat implies
that you're going to have trouble using that service under linux.  It
too is a minority customer base, and yet we would like to see it
supported such that it can increase in use.

For me, linux and mozilla represent the plight of the technical
minority.  Sure, it's nice that they're better in many respects, but
it's often more important that we stand up to make people consider the
consequences of restricting choice and forcing a particular technology
on their users or themselves.

It's funny that many people on this list would avoid moving into a house
that didn't have a fast enough ADSL connection, but they'll stick with a
bank that forces them to use a browser and an operating system that they
don't want to.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | If one studies too zealously, one
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | easily loses his pants.