[plug] FTP problems not sure where to look.

laurie anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Tue Feb 10 11:07:18 WST 2004

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:26:50 +0800
Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> James Devenish wrote:
>
> | > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> [...snip lots of "No such device" errors...]
>
> | This might be the same problem as was discussed on this list in November
> | 2003 (took a while to track down the problem).
>
> Maybe.  It might also be due to the driver for eth0 not being loaded.
> Does `dmesg | grep ^eth' say anything interesting?  e.g. a good
> indication that this is /not/ the problem would be something like:
>
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf8808000, 00:40:f4:87:a1:ae, IRQ 5
> eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
> eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
>
> Cameron.

  Morning All,

  James Devenish advised that November's plug list 'Interface not being brought
  up' could help -- thank's

  Performed the following since looking at the plug list dated 10 Nov 2003

     /etc/init.d/networking restart
  Reconfiguring network interfaces...SIOCDELRT: no such device
  SIOCSIFADDR:  no such device
  eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags:  no such device
  SIOCSIFNETMASK:  no such device
  SIOCSIFBRDADDR:  no such device
  eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags:  no such device
  eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags:  no such device
  done

     /etc/resolv.conf
  nameserver 192.168.0.1                  this is my gateway machines address

  NB: the machine running Sarge show's
    search ucc.gu.uwa.au
    nameserver 130.95.13.9
    nameserver 135.95.128.2

     /etc/hosts
  127.0.0.1		localhost
  192.168.0.21		william

  # The following lines are desirable for IP6 capable hosts
  # (added automatically by netbace upgrade)

  ::1	   ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
  fe00::0  ip6-localnet
  ff00::0  ip6-mcastprefix
  ff02::1  ip6-allnodes
  ff02::2  ip6-allrouters
  ff02::3  ip6-allhosts

     ifdown -av
   configuring interface lo=lo (int)
   run-parts /etc/network/if-down.d
   ifconfig lo down
   run-parts /etc/network/if-post-down.d
   Configuring interface eth0=eth0 (inet)
   run-parts /etc/network/if-down.d
    route del default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0
   SIOCDELRT: No such device

     ifup -av
   ifup: interface lo already configured
   ifup: interface eth0 already configured

   strace ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
   strace: ifconfig: command not found

   strace ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 down
   strace: ifconfig: command not found

    dpkg -S /sbin/ifconfig
  net-tools: /sbin/ifconfig

  This did help but still confused there is something I am missing.

  Thanks

  Laurie