[plug] Pocket PC 2003 and Samba 3

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Tue Feb 10 14:34:12 WST 2004

Hi Pluggers

This is mainly for the archives because i couldn't find anything on the
net that answered this question specifically.

I recently bought a HP iPAQ Pocket PC with Pocket PC 2003. I couldn't
get the damn thing to access my SaMBa server over the wireless link.  I
could see it in the logs but it wasn't refusing access nor showing any
real error. The iPAQ would say:
"Network resource cannot be found or you do not have permission to
access the network. Contact you network administrator."
It would connect to my Windows XP Pro pre-SP1 no problems.

I found a reference to the problem encountered here:
http://www.cewindows.net/bugs/wm2003netsec.htm
It didn't help with SaMBa though.

After a while i loaded up SWAT and went through every single setting
until i found this:
use spnego (G)

        This variable controls controls whether samba will try to use
        Simple and Protected NEGOciation (as specified by rfc2478) with
        WindowsXP and Windows2000 clients to agree upon an
        authentication mechanism. Unless further issues are discovered
        with our SPNEGO implementation, there is no reason this should
        ever be disabled.

        Default: use spnego = yes

This is what i added to smb.conf
use spnego = No

It worked straight away. Damn insecure apparently but SaMBa
here(LinuxIT) is only as a convenience anyway.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>
Linux Information Technology